Rebecca White's Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Obama Girl

This election has been a time of growth and self-questioning. Surprisingly enough, not because of whom I will vote for, but because of whom I will not vote for. I am inexplicably drawn to Barack Obama as a candidate and hope he gets the presidential nomination over Clinton. However, I also know that I will positively not vote for him in November. This has raised a lot of questions about my identity and how Obama has reeled me in almost, but not quite, to the point of giving him my vote.

I am a single, 20 year old, white, conservative female who is from the South. I grew up in a middle to upper class income bracket. When it comes to politics, my sole hope is that McCain picks Huckabee for a running mate. Why is it that I absolutely love Barack Obama when he is a married, older, black, ultra liberal man who targets lower income families and is from the North? Why do I admire him so much more than Clinton, who based on stereotypes is much more like me? Yet, I am not the only young female captivated by Obama’s charm – all one has to do is attend one of his rallies or think back to the summer when the “Obama Girl” video cropped up on YouTube. As I’ve thought this through, I am convinced that it is because of the way Obama has crafted his image.

Image is critical as it represents how people perceive a candidate. Image is all over this particular election as Hillary Clinton, John McCain and Barack Obama have taken completely different strategies and thus have completely different images. Clinton is the “angry feminist” fighting for a woman’s right to any position in America. She seems politically driven and power oriented to me. In comparison, I see Obama as being passionate and charismatic. While perhaps overly idealistic, he still seems sincere.

Barack also gives the impression that he is an average guy thrust into the political ring. This gives him a “Cinderella” persona that appeals to most Americans. The idea that one can rise above an initial situation is the foundation of the American Dream. Obama captures this through his personal struggles of overcoming drugs and rising in politics. He also has owned up to whatever “scandals” are in his past, which only adds to the perception of him being honest and transparent.

While these things contribute to Obama’s image of a charming man with character, they do not alone capture what makes me attracted to him. The most important tool that Obama uses to create his image is that of inspirational communication.

When Obama speaks, his metaphors and manner of speaking takes you back to the Civil War and to Martin Luther King Jr. Much of this is intentional. For example, in his announcement speech, he alludes to the fact that he is standing in Springfield, Illinois, the home of Lincoln. He quotes both Lincoln and King throughout his address. Even his speaking style is reminiscent of King, for as he draws out his vision of what the government could be like, one is reminded of King’s vision in his “I Have a Dream” speech.

Through his rhetoric, Obama draws you into his dream and invites you to join his movement. He carries himself like a hero from the common people, a fighter. For example, while I am more in line with McCain politically, when he speaks the listener can get the impression that his fight is over. With Obama, he uses rhetoric to convince you that his fight is just beginning.

Therein lies Obama’s power. For who is not swayed by the powerful orations of a leader rallying his people together? We watch Braveheart and 300 to get inspired. Everyone wants to feel significant and part of something that matters. Obama’s passionate appeals make one feel as if a revolution is taking place and he wants you on his side.

This passion is what makes a 20 year old conservative woman almost turn liberal. For while Obama is more liberal than Clinton, I would rather him be president than Clinton. It is ironic that Clinton does not inspire me in the same way, despite the fact that she represents the iconic feminist.

Obviously I am intrigued by Obama. Yet, I refuse to vote for him. This shows that while one can have charm, charisma and an image crafted to perfection, these are not the end-all when it comes to a presidential election – at least not for this young, conservative woman.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At April 1, 2008 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Christine said...

    It was nice to see you being honest about your feelings towards a candidate that you did not intend to vote for. I think it is important to figure out how each of the candidates affect us and why, in order to truly determine which candidate we want to elect. You are drawn to Obama's charisma, but not to this platform-- that is an important distinction and it is good that you have made it.

    I was sad, though, when i read your description of Hillary. I also hope that Obama gets the nomination over Clinton, but it makes me sad that, after all her attempts to be seen as a normal candidate, the first legitimate female hopeful nominee still only comes off as an "angry feminist" who is only concerned with women's rights. I would not pick her over Obama, but I do think there is more to her than that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home